Monday 7 September 2009

September Update

Hello to all of my 5 followers (I think I'm one of them too!)!! I've been terrible at keeping my blog up-to date, Colin has been making me feel terrible with his 100 posts!

I must have so much to update you on but I'm not really sure what...

I don't think I've posted about Ben Nevis, which we completed in about 7 and a half hours, it was totally amazing, the best weather we'd had out of the three peaks but my hips were in complete agony and I must have been close to the last to the top and definately the last to the bottom! The views were breathtaking and I'll definately do it again one day! We had a great weekend in Fort William, and our cottage at the foot of the mountain was perfect, it was like stepping into Granny's house, my favourite part was Lewis' bed that you had to pull out of the cupboard in the living room.

Throughout all the climbing I'd been battling with my hips as the Consultant informed me I have too much cartlidge inbetween the ball and socket joints in both hips, I'd used all of my £800 allowance through Bupa and had x-rays, MRI scans, Cortozone injections (horrible!) and lots of physio and still felt terrible when it came to running and climbing.

Afterall that I've only managed to cure myself, well with a little help from my Swimming Coach, since the beginning of my challenge I've been swimming pretty much once a week for an hour doing breaststroke but then as my triathlon approaches I'd decided I had to learn front crawl and have been going to group lessons at the gym on a Tuesday along with extra lessons with the coach so I'd had to step up my swimming to around 4 times a week to make sure I was practicing inbetween lessons and "touch wood" for the past couple of weeks I've been virtually pain free!! I'd definately recommend Swimming to anyone doing a lot of high impact training.

Through my Swimming lessons I've gone from not being able to swim front crawl at all to doing 16 lengths without stopping at the last session! I've got another skill - I wonder if I can work into my CV.

As for the rest of my triathlon training... I've had great new running trainers which are making me stop swinging my hips, and tonight for the first time ever I went for a 10km bike ride (with my new road tyres on my mountain bike) then stopped at the race course and ran round it twice, which I think is about 3km.

I've also decided to add one last challenge into the 365 plans - a half marathon in December, I'm trying to find some volunteers to join me!??

I think that must be about all for now... stay tuned for my update after the triathlon, less than two weeks to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment